Tuesday 28 October 2014

Dealing with Culture Shock

Task 1:
Write a two-three paragraph essay describing your experience with culture shock, then list the ways you have personally done or will do or overcome it.





I realized the 1st big barrier was language after I came to Toronto on June this year. When I was in China, I thought I could improve my English without learning hard once I lived in any English native speaker country, but I found I was wrong after I had been Canada for half of month. Any language couldn’t be improved unconsciously without hard effort wherever you lived.
I was disappointed by my poor English while I was attracted by some local interesting culture. It was totally different. For example, about traffic, my roommates told me TTC was very convenient, and you could find any location after searching for the google map. However, when I went outside I hardly could find the well-marked bus stops. There were only standing poles in some bus stops, and the bus stops were set up in the crossroads. In my country, the bus stops were well-marked and clear to find which bus people need to take. The image liked this picture as below.




Every bus stop stood in the middle of the road side. In the beginning, I felt confused to find the bus stops, but after a few weeks I prefered to TTC than the transportation syestem in my hometown. It was really more convenient and more humanized, of course sometimes you had to endure the no reason parking in anywhere. It was really unpleasant, but TTC conditions were good.

I could tell a lot of similar samples like TTC. As my LINC classmates said, Toronto was not as same beatiful as we supposed, but I found the insite quality was more valued than the external in Canada. I liked it.

Task 2:
List some strategies/ways/activities you will use or advice a close friend or a family member to do or use in order to reverse any symptoms of culture shock.

*Don’t focus on the negative emotion, as the coin has two sides, we need to find the positive and interesting side.

*Every culture has its own unique fascination, we have a chance to experience the different culture in our limited lives , it is worth cherishing, isn’t it
----------------------------------------------------------------

I realized the 1st big barrier was language after I came to Toronto on June this year. When I was in China, I thought I could improve my English without learning hard once when I lived in any English speaking countries, but I found I was wrong after I had been Canada for half of month. Any language couldn’t be improved unconsciously without hard effort, no matter where you lived.
I was disappointed by my poor English while I was attracted by some local interesting culture. It was totally different. For example, about traffic, my roommates told me TTC was very convenient, and you could find every location after searching for the Google map. However, when I went outside I almost could not find the well-marked bus stops. There were only standing poles in some bus stops, and the bus stops were set up in the crossroads. In my home country, the bus stops were well-marked and clear to find which bus people could take. The image was like the following picture. Every bus stop stood in the middle of the road side. In the beginning, I felt confused to find the bus stops, but after a few weeks I preferred to ride TTC than the transportation system in my hometown. It was really more convenient and more humanized, of course sometimes you had to endure the no reason parking in anywhere. It was really unpleasant, but TTC conditions were good.


I could tell many similar samples like TTC. As my LINC classmates said, Toronto was not as beautiful as we supposed, but I found the internal quality was more valued than the external in Canada. I liked it.

edited by May

1 comment: